On 5th Sept 2005 the INFORMATION BELOW WAS FOUND TO BE CORRECT
ALLEGED EMBEZZLEMENT OF SHS. 2,300,000,000 (TWO BILLION THREE HUNDRED MILLION UGANDA SHS):
1. Between December 2003 and January 2004 brief case businessmen as here-below listed were paid 2.3 billion for alleged supply of medical equipment;
2. LIST OF SUPPLIERS
a) Glory Traders
b) Andy General Traders
c) Songai Technical Services
d) Nalunga Grace general Traders
e) Orbim Traders
f) Felix Agencies
g) Casoma Electricals
h) B.M Enterprises
3. The above enterprises are merely registered as business names. One wonders how they were contracted by Government
4. They are not VAT registered with Uganda Revenue Authority. Government lost VAT
5. You will notice that all the cheques paid are in the range of 28 million. The implication is that the signatories had an idea of depleting a certain Vote of money within the Ministry in a period of 2 (two) months i.e. December 2003 and January 2004.
6. There is a possibility that Glory Traders and Songai Technical Services belong to one person.
7. The key suspects are:
a) Mr. Mukasa James- the Principal Accountant of the Ministry of Health
b) Engineer Muyanja (signatory on the cheque) based at Wabigabo workshop. He is on Tel. 077473229.
8. According to my source, the alleged supplies did not go through the Contracts Committee/ the procurement process.
9. The source intimates that this was a deal for the Hon. Minister Of Health, Hon. Jim Muhwezi. No such supplies took place and the money was simply taken by the Hon Jim Muhwezi.
10. That the said Hon Minister of Health knew of their irregularity but covered it up.